StatCounter

Friday, March 23, 2018

Mini excursion to Connecticut Historical Society Museum

We have been here before but when they label a special new exhibit as "That's Weird", it attracted our attention. We were able to get here before this exhibit closes next month. It was fun seeing the weird things that ended up at this Connecticut museum.

One of the first things we saw was a lock of Abraham Lincoln's hair and then below that was just a couple of George Washington's hairs in a card. They have letters to back them up, but who knows for sure. On the way out, George offered to give them some of his hairs--authentic George Washington hair. Silly people didn't want them but thanked him for the offer.

Here are a few of the interesting things we saw.

This flag, which is under glass and barely holding together, was on display at Ford Theater the night that Lincoln was shot. It is said, perhaps for dramatic effect, that he may have grabbed this flag as he was shot. Still I always find things that were actually "there" in history, fascinating.








Things made out of the Charter Oak:







This was interesting in that it is very local (New Hartford). They were asking people to vote on what they would like the museum to display more--this and a couple of other options, one being the Yard goats mascot's head.






I have a special fascination of the Leather Man and I was pleased to see actual artifacts from him.





Some movies with Connecticut ties. This one kind of peaked my interest because it's the first "horror monster musical". I am really interested in that musical score!








These were from the not-weird part of the museum, but I found them interesting:



Oh, my. I guess this is not a new sentiment:





I have such fond memories of Savin Rock



Lake Compounce



I took this picture because when my parents moved to Connecticut, for a short while they both worked at Royal Typewriter (the one on the right is a Royal).



I smiled at this book, "written by a lady":



Benjamin Franklin's "Way to Wealth".  I guess people have always searched for wealth.




The witchcraft hysteria didn't miss Connecticut--in fact, we were years ahead of Salem sadly.



Finally there was a room dedicated to Tavern Signs. As this sign told us, they were required



The one in the bottom right corner is Pettibones.










Interesting name, "Strangers Resort"



I wonder what kind of entertainment was provided for horses.




Obviously the word "entertainment" wouldn't fit across...


And I'll leave you with these words of advice: