StatCounter

Friday, November 2, 2018

Part Four of our Annivesary Vacation in Pennsylvania


The Amish Village was our next stop with this little re-created village.










 These leaves were HUGE!






There were a lot of farm type birds around. These were baby peacocks, pea-chicks.




 This guy was hiding as we came around the corner.
Inside tour.




 I don't know if this is typical, but our guide told us the price of a quilt was double the number of hours it took to make it. (ie. 400 hours = $800).






 Look who came peeking in the window.
From here, we took a bus tour explaining about the Amish way of life and drove us through the scenic roads ending at a nice little Amish stand to buy Amish goods.

 Our guide drove us by several Amish schools at recess time.






 Tuesdays (and I think Thursdays) in the fall after the harvest is Amish wedding season. We drove by a place where they were set up for a wedding that was happening in the building at that time.





 These were all the buggies parked that were attending the wedding.

 More schools. I must say I was hesitant at first to take pictures as we know they don't take pictures. But obviously we know there are pictures of Amish all over Pennsylvania on postcards. They don't keep pictures because of vanity. However, I did ponder an interesting comment someone said about their dress--they want to be different and noticed. I wonder, if in a way, if that is pride, I am sure they don't think so--just a pondering point. I feel sad how much I love photographs that they never have a photograph to remember how their kids looked when they were small. Our bus driver has many Amish friends and she even knew kids in the playground. She never told us not to take pictures. I think she would have if we should not have.



After the bus tour and a quick lunch, I had to drag George to the Central Market, Lancaster. We have been before and I don't know why I felt the need to go--the sights, the variety. It was just fun to look at as we have before, but we didn't buy a thing. (We previously bought at the Amish farm stand). But still it's fun to look.










From there, we went to the furthest spot from our "home base" to something we thought would be fun to do....we went to the Turkey Hill Experience. There you can have unlimited free samples of ice cream and teas. I think they make the ice cream so cold that you will get brain freeze if you have too much. There are also interactive computer games and a chance to create your own kind of ice cream and after that, you can make a commercial advertising your new flavor. I hope I can download our funny commercials we made here. Such fun!






Here are two stars in the making--our first commercials! Click on links to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewBHzgJvZzc


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozwhveRoLbY

I guess the links above you can't click on, you can copy and paste.

No comments: