StatCounter

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Autumn/Winter Wonderland? (from the blog post)

 
Posted by Picasa


This picture was taken in the back of my post office--a rare sight, red, yellow leaves clinging to the trees and snow on the ground. I should have taken a picture of my husband's truck. It's white and there was some snow on it and yellow leaves. Being a food junkie, I automatically thought it looked like giant frosted flakes in milk. Most of us in New England are praying that this is not a sign of the winter to come.
My mother-in-law used to say that you take the date of the first snowfall and that's how many snow storms you will have--15 ugh!!
I do remember driving in snow on a Columbus Day once before. I didn't have snow tires yet and it was pretty frightening.
As soon as the snow falls everyone starts speculating what kind of winter we will have. There are so many theories from the number of acorns, to the stripes of a woolly bear, to the Farmer's Almanac. I haven't found any that I can count on. We have to go day by day. It's probably better that way because if we knew the next day was going to be more snow and the next and the next, we'd be depressed and overwhelmed. I, personally, can handle it better not knowing how bad the future will be. Just like life, it would not be good to know our future. This snowfall was easier to take knowing the 60 degree temperatures will be back later next week, that is after more snow this weekend. :(
October snow, what will they think of next?--how about 70 degree January--turn about is fair play! Well, one can dream.

No comments: