StatCounter

Sunday, April 2, 2023

As the Pandemic Started


This was written last March 2020 when we were at the beginning of the pandemic. I wanted to save it here to remember what it was like. 

This was the last time we were all together for my birthday which we celebrated on February 1st. Pictures are precious to me. I can never have enough. Silas loves playing with his cousins and when they were leaving and as we said goodbye this time, he said, "We will never see them again." We laughed and assured him that wasn't the case. Poppa Casey's birthday was coming up and we would see them again. 

We were wrong and he was kind of right. Who would have ever guessed? I don't believe it will be never, but it's going to be too long. 

Another

Another thing this little guy does, when we are parting and ask for a hug, he sometimes says, "I'm all out hugs." We don't know where he got that and I would always steal one anyway. On the days we did get one we, we play it up big. Last time we even got our first, "I love you," as he was leaving. <3

Well, now the world too, is "all out of hugs". We can't even steal one. Forced long distance love is hard. I told Silas he better be stocking up on hugs--all the grand kids better be (and other family). I always liked hugs, but when you are missing something, you realize just how important it is. Who would have ever imagined not physically showing our love for our loved ones is the best thing that you can do for them now? That is like science fiction to me. I know there are many families in this same boat and I just keep telling myself, "This too shall pass"--just no fast enough. One month was tough but we knew we could do it. Now extended to April 30th, possibly longer, hit me hard. It does not seem doable, but we can't look at the long term, just one day at a time. Such strange times. I know there are many families hurting like this, missing birthdays, graduations, Easter, Mother's Day, etc. (so many disappointments). Some have parents and grandparents living all alone in what must seem like solitary confinement. I want you to know you are not alone and we are doing this out of love for one another.

Jesus laid down his life for us so that we could live, we are just being asked to distance ourselves for a while so we don't endanger others. We can do this, but I have to remind myself every day now of this, maybe with a few

No comments: