StatCounter

Friday, April 11, 2008

When counting sheep doesn't work...

First, why count jumping sheep? Has anyone ever seen a sheep jump a fence? Can they jump? Wouldn't it make more sense to count jumping frogs or kangaroos or grasshoppers? Maybe subliminally the fluffy sheep make us think of our pillows? Hey, you come up with a better idea!

Anyway, I was tossing and turning one night and then I started to compose this poem and fell asleep--side note: a dear friend used to tell us if you want to go to sleep, start naming your blessings by letter ex. A for apples, B for brothers, etc. She said that it would tick off Satan enough that you wouldn't get to Z. I wonder if that's why I fell asleep before I finished composing this. Well, I got it done today and thought I'd share it.

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my thoughts to keep
When worries wage war in my head
As I toss and turn upon my bed;
Or anger like a stormy sea
Takes a firm hold of me,
Or tears of sorrow blind my eyes;
Or over again I hear the lies
Lord, take these things that stain my sleep
I pray dear Lord, my thoughts please keep.
When morning comes, help me to know
Which to take back and which to let go.

No comments: