StatCounter

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Merry CHRISTMAS!! There, I said it!

We just got our annual memo at the post office. We are not to say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Hanukkah" but should say "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings". This is a pet peeve of mine. If I know the person is Jewish, I will wish them a happy holiday. If I don't know, it's kind of a clue when they buy Christmas stamps. If they are celebrating "Christmas" and I am selling them "Christmas" stamps, why can't I say "Merry Christmas"?

I've heard a number of comments over the years, "I would like the non-religious Christmas stamps." Well, that sure shows how far out of line the holiday has come. Hello...Christmas is a religious holiday. OR "I think I should take the politically correct stamps" meaning the ones with the nutcracker instead of Madonna and child. Guess that person was celebrating "Holiday" instead of Christmas, since a stamp with Christ on it would be appropriate for Christmas. Now I have to be honest here...often I do not like the choice of Madonna and child stamps and I will buy the non-religious ones, but I will say "Merry Christmas".

I guess that's what bothers me the most. I know I work with the public and therefore, they want me to be politically correct. I understand that they want us to be diversified and tolerant of all. Yet, I cannot help but feel this is an infringement on my freedom of speech. I am not to say "Merry Christmas". It's not like saying something degrading to someone. If someone said, "Happy Hanukkah" to me, I would not be insulted. Do people really take offense if I say, "Merry Christmas" and I'd be curious to know what percentage? I realize how much it bothers me to be told what I cannot say. I guess I am lucky this is just my employer and not my government as in some countries.

I hate to suggest, but if they want to be politically correct, just change it from "Christmas" to "Holiday"--no Christ, no religion--just Santa and materialism. I would think that would be on the list of things to do with the people who want to take God off our money too.

Well, I'm not at work, this is my blog and I would like to say MERRY CHRISTMAS! MERRY CHRISTMAS! MERRY CHRISTMAS! MERRY CHRISTMAS! MERRY CHRISTMAS! MERRY CHRISTMAS! and in case you didn't get that, Merry CHRISTmas!

No comments: