StatCounter

Friday, May 29, 2009

One last look at Memorial Day

 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

This is my husband George and his childhood friend, Rob. They are both Vietnam Veterans. In the second picture, they are by the truck instead of in it like they do every year (except this one) handing out sodas to the band members.
The last picture I thought was kind of neat. This is the shadow of the flag that I was holding and George saluting as they called off the names of the veterans who have died.
The speaker asked if we remembered the first time we got teary eyed when we saw our flag go by in a parade or heard the National Anthem. I don't remember the first time, but I do know that these American symbols are important to me and they do make me emotional and proud and happy to be a part of this wonderful country. It makes me sad that the younger generation appears to be losing these feelings and fast. The respect that our country deserves is dying to the selfish greed of people who only think of themselves and give no thought to the blessings that they have only because of those who have suffered and died before us--they should be saluted and remembered and their legacy respected. This generation doesn't seem to respect the past, but lives in the now not caring how "now" came to be and what will happen should they forget their heritage. I am sad for the future of our country and hope that somehow the original American spirit will be one day revitalized.

No comments: