StatCounter

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Professor Hale's Christmas Tale

I've invented a character named Professor Hale. I have put him in various unusal situations that one day I would like to publish into a children's book. The situations are silly and fun, but for this Christmas I wrote this more serious tale and I thought I would share it here with you. Merry Christmas!


After shoveling the snow on a cold winter’s day

Professor Hale sat in his chair nodding away.

Visions and dreams paraded through his head

Until he woke suddenly with a feeling of dread.

The place in the future was familiar and yet again not,

He had to share with us all, before he forgot.

We gathered around the Christmas tree aglow

As he told us of his dream on that cold night of snow.

“I walked the streets of a city lined with colored lights.

Decorations on either side shone bold and bright.

‘Ho, ho, ho. Happy Holiday!’ Santa shouted to all

As people rushed by him to get to the mall.

Pushing and shoving, shouting, ‘Get out of my way!’

They fought for the bargains on sale that day.

All were not rude, some wished ‘Season’s Greetings to

        you tonight.’

But something was wrong. Something was just not right.

An uneasy feeling came over me from head to toe

I asked a man, ‘What is today? Do you know?’

He looked at me strange and as he walked away, said,

‘December 24th, Holiday Eve. Have you lost your head?’

A chill ran up my spine.

I rushed through the streets looking for a sign.

I searched for a church, yes that would do

But the church marque said, ‘Happy Holiday’ too.

I ran to another as someone was going in

‘The holiday eve service is about to begin.’

What about Christ, it’s the eve of His birth?

‘Shh…we don’t want to offend in this season of mirth.’

I nearly fell backwards as the words echoed in my head,

No Christ in Christmas. It was as if He were dead.

I climbed to the top of the stairs and turned to the crowd.

‘Merry Christmas!’ I shouted and then again quite loud.

People stopped, ‘What did he say?’

Some glared, some stared, some walked away.

‘Merry Christmas!’ again I loudly proclaimed.

‘You bigot!’ ‘How rude!’ ‘You should be ashamed!’

If I’ve offended, I have not meant to

But please keep Christ in Christmas,

     it’s the least you can do.

They pelted me hard with balls of snow.

A kindly woman led me away, ‘Come. Let’s go.’

I said, ‘How can they be this way?

Christmas was ours and they took it away.’

She led me to an alley and others were there

Singing songs of Jesus and wise men’s gifts to share.

My dream ended then but I see the truth today

Little by little Christmas is being chipped away.

You can bow to the crowds, not to offend

Or stand up for Christmas and chose to defend.

So, my friends my advice to you this day,

Don’t give in to the crowds as they lead you their way.

They will continue to chisel away at Christmas, I know.

Have faith and in love let your feelings show.

With sincere wishes, I am happy I can say,

I wish you all a very

Merry Christmas Day!”


No comments: